Introduction to Iyengar Yoga (4-week series)
Great for beginners with no yoga experience! Learn the fundamentals of Iyengar yoga. Student learn alignment, standing, seated, and relaxing postures. Students are asked to commit to the entire 4-week series for maximum benefit. Drop-ins are welcome with advance notice.
Level 1 Iyengar Yoga
For students that have completed the Introduction to Iyengar Yoga series at Garden of Yoga or have previous asana experience. Prepare for more advanced asanas, including inversions and backbends. 90 minutes.
Level 1-2 Iyengar Yoga
This level is a bridge between Level 1 and Level 2 classes. Not for beginners with no experience. 90 minutes.
Level 2 Iyengar Yoga
Good for students with strong fundamental understanding of asanas. All categories of Asana will be practiced in this class and pranayama techniques are introduced. 90 minutes.
Level 3 Iyengar Yoga
Home practice of Iyengar Yoga is encouraged and expected. This level cultivates a deeper refinement of the asanas. 120 minutes.
Please note, Garden of Yoga Iyengar classes (with the exception of the Intro series) follow the sequencing set out by the Ramamani Iyengar Memorial Yoga Institute (RIMYI) in Pune, India, including practicing restorative postures on the fourth week of the month.
Class appropriate for beginning and continuing students. These traditional hatha yoga classes incorporate Iyengar principles of alignment and sequencing and will include a variety of poses (standing, seated, backbend, inversions and restorative). Poses will be modified and options will be given to accommodate students. Students with no experience who cannot take intro class should contact instructor.
Special attention is given to the students’ learning abilities; kinesthetic, auditory or visual. We use props designed by BKS Iyengar to help the student improve range of motion, and to equip them in confidence. The spine is moved in all directions creating strength & flexibility. The students will integrate breathe awareness allowing relaxation, peace of mind & clarity to be experienced. Joy off the mat!
Yoga for Back Care
This class is sequenced to enhance the care of the spine. Suitable for all types of back problems and postural issues from general back ache to scoliosis. For new and experienced yoga students who want to learn to care for their spine.
Yoga for Scoliosis Intermediate Level
This class is for students with scoliosis who have been practicing with Nancy Fox in her back care or scoliosis classes for at least 6 months, and who have had a spine assessment.
We explore the next level of poses, with more challenge and focus on correction of the lateral aspect of the curves, rotation and de-rotation, elongating the spine, and inversions. Build more strength, flexibility and balance in your body as you correct the curvature!
Yoga for Special Children
Private Yoga classes for special children
More self-confidence changes your attitude. Children have natural rhythms & proclivities that may or may not include the following:
- Physically: hyper active or lethargic
- Mentally: anxiety or dullness
- Emotionally: aggressive or timid
Hatha Yoga is a positive tool for all children. Class will create connection and independence by:
- Mantra (sound therapy)
- Pranayama (breathe practice)
- Asana (alignment & spinal movement)
- Deep Relaxation
Flowing in Strength Yoga
Chad Koch teaches a Hatha Yoga class that draws inspiration from Iyengar Yoga alignment principles. This class is designed for all levels of Yoga experience. Classical postures will be taught along with modifications as needed to make Yoga accessible for all. He also incorporates his training as a muscle specialist to build strength and flexibility increasing joint stability and range of motion.
Restorative Aroma Yoga
Enjoy a Sunday afternoon filled with experiential wisdom on creating relaxation and healing at the deepest cellular levels. Using natural scents from mother earth, learn the art of relaxation and revitalization through stillness, breath, supported Hatha Yoga postures and visualizations.
- Feel the benefits of gentle restorative Yoga using props such as bolsters, blankets, sand bags, and straps
- Enjoy aromatic gifts from the earth including like organic flower infusions and essential oils to stimulate
- the immune system, relax the body’s muscles, improve sleep, aid digestion and more
- Learn to lengthen, relax and open the muscles of the body with gentle stretches
- Experience the alchemy of earth, water, wind and sun in each flower essence
- Connect deeply with the breath to create complete rest, health and relaxation
- Experience the art and science of Yoga in a wonderful healing setting
We will feature a different essential oil or flower essence each month.
Tai Chi for Stress
Tai Chi is an ancient Martial Art used for health, stress relief and self-defense. Chad Koch teaches techniques of Tai Chi using a variation on the Yang long form and elements of Chi Gong. Using the form and exercises we will practice using and manipulating our energy to create opening and health in our body, mind and spirit.
Before You Come to Yoga Classes
- You may start your classes at any time. Choose a class level that is appropriate for your level of ability and experience. If you are new to our studio, or new to Iyengar Yoga, notify the teacher in advance that you plan to attend class.
- Do not eat for at least 1 hour before your Yoga class. Do not drink alcohol on the days you will be attending your class.
- Wear comfortable clothing, a tee shirt and shorts or leggings are good. Please be prepared to have bare feet.
- Please refrain from wearing scented products (perfume, cologne, or lotion).
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early to allow yourself time to change clothes, check-in with the teacher, and set-up for class.